Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Reminiscing my Experimental Recipes


Whenever I’m stressed, I cook, as I said in my first entry. And when I saw a nice cut of Cream Dory earlier this morning, I knew what I was going to do at night.

I remembered last year when I was cooking at the house of my best friend. She and her three other friends were going to the beach the day after and I went along to their house because I had a headache and they were near my place. To get the headache out and as a thank you for making me ride with them, I volunteered to cook that night.

I was so uncomfortable because it was not my kitchen. I did not know where everything was. But, I thought to myself, “Just take the challenge.”

I saw a lot of things to cook but when I saw that they had mozarella cheese, cream, milk, and butter, I knew already that I had to make cheese sauce. Now, it was the matter of finding the meat. I saw a whole chunk of roast beef, chicken, pork slices, and, the worst, fish. If it was not already 11 o’clock in the evening, I would have cooked the roast beef. But since the time was short, I just thought, “Whatever, let’s try cooking fish.”

It was my first time ever to cook fish but I knew it was easy enough. I just rubbed my normal spices and seasonings, salt, pepper, thyme, and so on, and fried them for a little bit. I finished my cheese sauce by melting all the dairy in one pot. And, I just thought what could give this thing more contrast in flavor, texture, and color. I thought of mashed potatoes at first but there was no potatoes and, even if they had, it would take 30 minutes to actually to soften them. But then I saw this breakfast favorite…

It was hash browns. I just knew at that moment that I should use them.

Now, it was plating time. I had three pieces of fish so I had to find three long plates. I placed them in the middle, poured the cheese sauce, and crumbled the hash brown on top.

Funny thing was, I was the only guy there. I was the only one cooking and they were all just playing around. So without any hype, they just sat there thought it was just something simple. But…

I remembered the first reaction of one of my friends there. She just had her first bite and, then, she just stood up, cursed me, and told me how great the food was.



Going back to today, I was reminiscing and I just wanted to do it again. I just changed the fish to Cream Dory, created another recipe for my cheese sauce, and created another recipe for mashed potatoes.

In the comfort of my own kitchen, I over seasoned my fish for a bit. It was a bit salty. But, at least I know now how to do it and it still matched great with the rice, the cheese sauce, and the mashed potatoes. To say the least, the mashed potatoes are addicting, I even eat it when cold. Overall verdict, tweak the recipe for the fish but everything else was great.



So to present to you all, my Cream Dory in White Cheese Sauce with Rice and Mashed Potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment